SEU is proud to be launching SEU Trades, an innovative collection of program offerings in the fields of construction technology, electrical technician services, HVAC technician services, plumbing technician services, and project management. Students of this innovative program will learn a trade and earn their online degree* at the same time.
The Drive Behind SEU Trades
With major workforce shortages projected in several trade professions in the coming years, Christian higher education is uniquely poised for the holistic development of essential trades professionals.
SEU Trades aims to meet industry needs by offering skilled labor programs and mentor-rich apprenticeships paired with a comprehensive, faith-based curriculum — all at an accessible and affordable rate. The goal is to serve these trades professions here in Lakeland and in the communities surrounding our 200-plus partner sites.
Elevated Trades Training for Today’s Professionals
The degrees that will be available** through SEU Trades have been specifically designed to benefit students at any point in their trades career.
- New to Trades — Students who are new to their chosen trade will be able to begin their careers and earn their degree simultaneously. This format is especially beneficial for students who are trying to decide between trade school and college, because they will be able to do both.
- Current Trades Professional — Professionals who have been in their trade for many years can further their knowledge through SEU Trades. These students will gain a higher level of leadership skills and increase their employability options.
All SEU Trades students will graduate with all the tools necessary for a successful career in some of today’s most in-demand industries — all built on a strong foundation of Christian character.
Additional benefits include:
- Affordability & Financial Aid — While the tuition for SEU Trades degrees is highly competitive, financial aid is also available.
- Flexible Learning — As a result of the combination of on-the-job training and online learning, students will have maximum flexibility.
- Variety of Formats — SEU Trades offers these degree programs through the university’s main campus, online, and at partner sites nationwide.
- Innovative Learning Model — Learning will mostly take place on the job, and traditional courses will be focused specifically on the student’s chosen field. Students will be introduced to skills through virtual simulations and then practice them in apprenticeships with mentors.
- Earn While You Learn — Apprenticeships are an essential part of learning a trade, and SEU works to establish these apprenticeships so that students can benefit from gaining hands-on experience while they earn a paycheck.
- Holistic Approach — SEU Trades provides an environment that will train and develop the whole individual in order for them to be work-ready, productive, and a valuable asset to wherever they are employed.
Starting in the spring of 2024, current SEU students (on-campus, online), can choose to take SEU Trades courses as electives as part of their Divine Design credit hours.
Pending accreditor approval,** the following full degree programs will be available to main campus and online students. .
- AS or BS in Construction Technology — Build a strong future in one of the nation’s most in-demand industries.
- AAS in Electrical Technician Services — Prepare for a bright future in the electrical trade.
- AAS in HVAC Technician Services — Gain the tools for success in this essential industry.
- AAS in Plumbing Technician Services — Get into the pipeline for a promising career in plumbing.
- AS in Project Management — Plan your future as a skilled and versatile project manager.
Students at partner sites will have access to these programs in the coming year; please connect with your Academic Director if you are interested in learning more.
SEU invites local businesses who are interested in discussing potential partnership opportunities to submit an inquiry form.
Applications for fall 2024 classes are now available. Interested students can begin the application process at SEU.edu/apply.
*Major-specific courses are offered online only; practicum credits are earned with on-the-job experiences.
**SEU Trades degrees will launch pending approval from SACSCOC.